I'm very happy with my 'biggest' homebrew project 'BlutEngel', but it's very incomplete. I used SNASM, this is no longer running with Win7+, on the other side, the code is very stange and high optimized, it's hard to read and to expand... many things are hardcoded. Last Friday (3 days ago) I started a new project: Blutengel II
First I switched from Context (it's great but abandoned) to NotePad+:
+ special neogeo-lexer (like context)
+ run batch using F9 key (like context)
with this new setup (it takes some time and needs some workarounds) it's easier to handle bigger projects.
Here is my first test-video - no sound and level-design is not that great but I can show you the engine. It's a complete rewrite (pure ASM).. it's not optimized yet but already faster than before. I enabled the powermeter ... it's close to real hardware!
- 3 different upgradable weapons (starsoldier like) but no lazer or megabomb yet
- level heigh is up to 2048 tiles (25min playtime) ~200 used in this video
- 2 layers of enemies (ground = no collision) & flying enemies.
- 3 different enemies with different aimed(!) shots
- 3 different enemy-shots
- some animations (explosions, coins)
- binary size (only code) ~16kb
- gfx is not 'art'... just placeholder!
- 2nd bg-layer (colorfade) is done with IRQ2 (scanline), this saves sprites (remeber: only 96 sprites per scanline)